Sunday, October 30, 2011

College Fashionista Feature!!!

Name: Maria Catapano

Year: Senior

Major: Marketing & Risk Management - Insurance
Favorite Designer: Balmain & Proenza Schouler



One fashion item that you can’t leave the house without?

Stacked bracelets. The more the merrier!



How did you find out about College Fashionista and how did you get involved and became a writer/Style Guru?

I first heard about CollegeFashionista from a friend at work. Entering my senior year, I decided that I wanted to do something other than my normal academic routine. Being a Style Guru for CollegeFashionista is the perfect way to combine your writing skills with a love for fashion.



How long have you been a writer/Style Guru for CF?

1 semester


What do you love about being a writer/Style Guru for CF?
I love giving credit to the stylish girls and guys on campus. I think there are a lot of people who don’t believe it’s worth putting in the extra effort to dress well on a day-to-day basis. And in a way, I can kind of understand where they’re coming from. But being someone who has personally always found it important to put effort into getting dressed each morning, I really appreciate finding others who feel the same way. They should get some recognition for their dedicated effort and great style.

What do you usually write about, women’s wear, men’s wear, hair, make-up, accessories? Do you have a specific focus?
Accessories! For both guys & girls. Anything ranging from shoes, scarves, hats, gloves, bags, jewelry, etc. A great outfit always plays a part in that too.

What do you do to keep yourself updated with current fashion that helps you aid with your writing for CF? Read magazines, blogs, fashion websites? What are your favorites? (examples Style.com, Marie Claire magazine, New York Times style section).
My two main sources of inspiration are blogs and fashion websites. I can spend hours on WhoWhatWear or Style.com looking at slide after slide of each runway show collection. This is usually where I’m able to start seeing emerging trends. Aside from that, I spend most of my time browsing through blogs that show real, street-style interpretations of these trends. Some of my favorites are FashionToast, ErinJeen, and Jak&Jil just to name a few. That’s exactly what draws me to CollegeFashionista too.

You cover an array of street style at UW Madison, do other people’s style influence and make your personal evolve? What is your personal style?
It’s kind of hard for me to describe my personal style because I think it changes from time to time. I definitely like staying up to date on trends and incorporating riskier things here and there. But over all, I think my style can range from being laid-back and casual to being really dressed up and feminine. I’ve never considered myself a tomboy per say, so I wouldn’t say my style often drifts in that direction. But I like simple and classic silhouettes that I can dress up with accessories. So if I had to say, I guess I would describe myself as someone who stays on trend but likes to be comfortable and effortless too.

If any of our TASA readers wanted to become a CF Style Guru, how can they become one?
If they are interested, they can click the “Become A Style Guru” link on the CollegeFashionista.com homepage to apply.

No comments:

Post a Comment